A Touch of Whimsy

June 2, 2014

I really admire gardens that have little whimsical features, but I'm never sure if my garden has the type of personality that can pull whimsy off.

Do you know what I mean by that?    Don't feel bad if you don't, because I really don't either.  I saw some great Gargoyles at a garden centre yesterday though, and it was love at first sight.  I thought one of them would be just the perfect blend of whimsy and charm for me.   At second sight, I looked at the price tag of $90 and I decided it could wait till the end-of-season-everything-must-go-sale.

However, I did find this adorable tabby cat plant hanger at the local hardware store last year, forgot about it, remembered it, and my husband put it up yesterday.  It looks wonderful on the post by our front door!   (Look one inch to your right and you'll see why tabbies are special to me.)

tabby cats and flowers, these are a few of my favourite things






I had fun looking around at the different annuals, and choose four little things for a basket to hang on the new hanger.   I don't know a lot about annuals, as my garden is 99.99 percent perennials, so I hope I made good choices.  I do like the pastel shades and I bought one of each, so I hope that will be the right amount for a 14" hanging pot.

Calibrachoa hybrid Million  Bells 'Cherry Pink ' (dark pink), Diascia hybrid Flying Colours 'Trailing Antique Rose (light pink), Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue', and German Ivy 'Variegata' 

  The complete new, and I hope 'whimsical' look:


Happy Gardening Everyone.

10 comments:

  1. I love that plant hanger friend! It is the perfect amount of whimsy and uniqueness!!!! Just so pretty and I happen to know exactly what you are saying about the "whimsical" look in the garden! I go back and forth about adding certain things as I am not sure what direction I am always going in! I hope you get that gargoyle...it sounds awesome! And I will ask Sue tomorrow what the name is of the little irises she got!!! Happy gardening lady! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks plenty whimsical to me! Million bells is a good choice. The other plants I don't have experience with. I do think it's important in gardening to just follow your impulses and allow yourself to make mistakes - that's part of the fun. The main limiting factor is your budget. Actually this is true of many other things as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a nice plant hook and is bound to be the perfect whimsical addition to your front entrance Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that Diane and it looks very pretty with the pot. I figure I do what I like whether it fits or not. I'm the one that looks at it everyday. :)
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very charming! As the "keeper" of a tabby myself, I think the combination of cute kitties and cute flowers is one of the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the tabby hanger, Diane. My late puss was a lovely male tabby named Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tabby is cute, both the fuzzy and metal one. Planters are great for experimenting with different annuals. Like you, I rarely have annuals in my garden beds, but it is fun to cram them into a pot and see the overabundance flowering all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the perfect whimsical look! You can't go wrong with a sweet cat plant hanger, and those great plant selections. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The plant hanger is perfect, Diane! I'll bet Hudson appreciates it.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I love whimsy too which is why I made my bottom patio area my whimsy garden. The temptation is to keep adding though!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

If you have a question, I'll respond on your own blog, if you leave me the link! I'll also answer questions here (in case anyone else is interested).

I had to start 'moderating' the comments because I was getting so much spam, so if you notice your comment doesn't show up right away, that is why.

Happy Gardening!