Shirley Poppy

July 17, 2011

Poppy 'Shirley Double'

I've discovered Shirley poppies! My brother has grown them for years, in his zone 1 garden, and I have always admired them. For some unknown reason I never tried them until this year.

They were so worth the wait!

I sowed the seeds, directly into the garden, in early May. The seeds are so tiny, that I ended up with really dense patches of little seedlings, so I took my brother's advice and 'thinned like crazy'.

I will deadhead to prevent them from self-seeding overly randomly. I have very thick shredded cedar mulch in the bed, but I have a feeling they might just grow up from that, if left to their own devices.

I hope to collect some seeds and plant them where I want them to grow. I'll check with my brother on that though.


  1. You are right they are worth it. Poppies are gorgeous flowers.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

  2. Very pretty ... such a delicate bloom.

  3. Lovely flower - I have never seen a pink one before, hope they self-seed for you.

  4. what a beautiful bloom! I do not have these in my garden! May have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing!

  5. I planted some double poppies from seed. Three came up, and I took the middle on out to leave room for the other 2. One really is double, the other not, but is still pretty. They only bloom for a couple days. If I deadhead do you know if they will they bloom again?

  6. Okay, I'm adding these to my wish-list. If you can grow them from seed, I should be able to, too. When I do my new front garden, I may try to create a space for them where they could self-sow to their heart's content. -Jean


Comments are always welcome!

If you have a question, I'll respond on your own blog, if you leave me the link! I'll also answer questions here (in case anyone else is interested).

I had to start 'moderating' the comments because I was getting so much spam, so if you notice your comment doesn't show up right away, that is why.

Happy Gardening!