Mystery Plant Identified (Puschkinia)



I noticed this little surprize blooming in a clump of fall asters in my back border this morning.  The wider leaves you can see in the picture belong to the fall asters, but the very skinny ones belong to my Mystery Plant. 

  I wonder if they are some kind of Puschkinia.  The leaves and flower shape are the same, but I've never heard of ones that are this colour.   And the other Puschkinias are long since past blooming in my garden. 


Pretty, though!

Ideas?

Update:  Thanks to Pam, who has a lovely garden blog at http://pamsenglishcottagegarden.blogspot.com/, who looked up Puschkinias and found out that they do, indeed, come in this colour, I'm sure that's what it is. 

It is exactly the same shape and size as the striped ones.  Thanks Pam!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Diane~
    I have no idea what that flower is, but it is beautiful and I love the color. I found your blog looking at other gardening blogs and I am so glad that I did, I have really enjoyed it.
    Happy Gardening~
    katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane - I don't know what it is, but it's so pretty! I love mystery plants. You're right - we do have the same taste in gardens/plants. Your picture at the top is very similar in shape, design and woody background as one of the gardens in our yard. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is lovely Diane. Thanks for sharing. I will check with the master gardner as to what kind of flower that is mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Diane, I think you may be right about your mystery plant. According to the BBC Plant Identification Guide, Puschkinia libanotica (Species: scilloides) comes in the following colors: Mauve, Mixed, Orange, Peach, Pink, Purple, Red, Rose, Salmon, Violet, White, and Yellow. I love the color of yours.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice message. I use a marking pen from Gardeners Supply. Here's the link: http://www.gardeners.com/Marking-Pen/FlowerGardening_PlantMarkers,33-196,default,cp.html

    I love your blog and will return. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go to church with Steve Bender who is a gardening writer at Southern Living magazine. On his blog, there is a link in the top right corner that says "ask a question". He often likes the challenge of answering questions just like yours. Visit his blog here:

    http://grumpygardener.southernliving.com/grumpy_gardener/

    Good luck,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

If you have a question, I'll respond on your own blog, if you leave me the link! I'll also answer questions here (in case anyone else is interested).

I had to start 'moderating' the comments because I was getting so much spam, so if you notice your comment doesn't show up right away, that is why.

Happy Gardening!