What's Blooming on the Last Day of Spring!

This is the second year for this peony plant.  It was mislabeled as a 'Bowl of Beauty' so I don't know the name of them.  The flowers are doubles and the outer petals are just a slightly darker shade of pink. 



I love the Evening Primroses.  They were one of the first perennials that I had.  The next-door-neighbour at my first home gave me some.  I like the way the flowers close up at night.  They remind me of big buttercups.  They tend to get a little bit scraggly by the time they have finished blooming, but I read recently that you can trim the top third off the tops afterwards to make them look a little neater.  I'm going to try that this year. 


I planted this 'General McMahon' peony in the fall of 2007, the first year we were here.  This is actually the first time it has bloomed and I'm quite delighted with it.  The blooms seemed to be unusually slow to open.  It's funny how some peonies take longer to get established than others. 



This is one of the two hydrangeas I planted in the front bed this spring.  It's called 'Twist 'n Shout'.  (Great name, eh?)   It's supposed to bloom all season and is one that will be pink in alkaline soil and blue in acidic soil.  The soil in most of our yard is acidic, because we are surrounded by evergreens.   The soil where this is is a nice garden mix though.  I didn't know what to expect - but I love the pink!




Our former neighbours came for dinner last summer and brought some small perennials in a basket as a hostess gift.  One was these Peachleaf Bellflowers. They have come up wonderfully and are the most beautiful and delicate shade of blue.  I've never had these before and they are quite lovely.  They are in the bed by the limestone path, against the house. 

6 comments:

  1. Your non-'Bowl of Beauty' is very pretty, with the light pink centre and dark pink outer petals, and there are lots of buds still to open.

    It will be interesting to see how long your Twist and Shout Hydrangea blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful peonies! I especially like the General McPahon. Isn't it nice to have friends that share their perennial treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Twist & Shout Hydrangea - very pretty. Both of the peonies are gorgeous and the peachleaf bellflower is beautiful! I didn't know they come in such a pretty blue color. I have the white in my yard and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane - just stopped by to check on your perennials and how lovely they are looking now - that blue bellflower is divine.

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful garden - those peonies are stunning. Theyre such a treat, such amzing blooms! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diane, thanks for visiting my blog. I think our unnamed peonies are a little different, mine does have a yellowish centre whereas yours appear more pink. I have one that looks very much like yours (came with the property - unlabelled), but I had to relocate it and it still refuses to bloom. I love the blue peachleaf bellflower, and also give them out as gifts. They are one of my absolute favorites, and I tuck them in everywhere. Beautiful hydrangea, I would love to keep a blue one, but it would be hard to keep the soil here acidified. Happy gardening. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

If you have a question, I'll respond on your own blog, if you leave me the link! I'll also answer questions here (in case anyone else is interested).

I had to start 'moderating' the comments because I was getting so much spam, so if you notice your comment doesn't show up right away, that is why.

Happy Gardening!