Progression of the Front Bed

April 24, 2011

While we all wait for the nice weather, and something new to post about, I thought I'd add a post to continue my "My Garden's Progression" list in the sidebar.

This bed, at the front of our house had river stone mulch and four cedars when we moved in.  The cedars weren't in the best of shape and there was one lone hosta in there (you can't see it in the picture), but it still remains and has been identified as a 'Gold Standard'.  I love it.  You can see it in the front(ish) left of the third picture. 

We removed the stone and the cedars and replaced the bed with better soil, some more hostas and cedar mulch.

We added the limestone walkway in the fall of 2009 and planted it up with 'walkable' plants like Irish Moss and a couple of different types of thyme.  Lots more hostas were added to both sides of the garden, as well as some colourful plants like bee balm, monkshood and foxglove. 

The walkway leads from our front door to our garage.  We shovelled the walkway this winter, so I'm waiting to see how the little plants in between the limestone fared over the winter. 


2007

2008
 

2009
2010
 

12 comments:

  1. Happy Easter!
    Your bed looks amazing, and I love your limestone walkway.
    When you replaced the bed's soil, did you bring in bags of soil you bought>

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the progression photos. Your additions made a big impact on the house. I love the walkway. They are a lot of work, but well worth it. Thanks for the garlic advice. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane, how cool to see the progression of this flower bed. I love the addition of the lime stone path, beautiful! I hope your moss and thyme survived the winter :) Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the yearly photos to show your changes. You did a wonderful job on all of it.
    Cher
    Goldenray Yorkies

    ReplyDelete
  5. This gives me all kinds of ideas for my front foundation bed - it's a north facing bed and has river rock and some ugly, overgrown junipers (I think) that need to go! It's the last remaining river rock on our property - I've just been putting it off because it is a big job.

    Your limestone path is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely progression, Diane! I've got some garden space in my new house I can't wait to get to! I need some suggestions for really sturdy, pretty flowers... I was thinking tulips. What else might look good with tulips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon, it's always a guessing game to say what goes well with things, because the trick is getting them to bloom at the same time!

    Tulips come in early, mid, and late spring varieties, but I know that in my garden, the 'Apricot Beauty' tulips bloom at the same time as the grape hyacinths and they look fantastic together. (Pink and blue together is smashing in the garden, IMO!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, The walkway really makes this planting special; it's gorgeous! -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jealous! I love that walkway, and I have just the place to put it. But it's a bigger job than I'm game for at the moment.....kudos to you for a great job. It's lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh!!! What a fantastic idea! It looks amazing. Did you plant little ground covers in between the lime stones or did things just come up on their own there?

    This path really adds so much - as well as more room to plant on the other side of it. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful idea to show its progression, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I moved into a new house a few years ago, nothing but lawn. I should look to see if I have some good before and after shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm new to your blog and want to say I have enjoyed seeing the progression of your gardens. You've done a lot of work with heart, soul and no doubt sweat, blood and tears.

    Visiting new gardens is always an inspiring treat.

    Hope it cools down for you soon.

    FlowerLady in s.e. FL

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

If you have a question, I'll respond on your own blog, if you leave me the link! I'll also answer questions here (in case anyone else is interested).

I had to start 'moderating' the comments because I was getting so much spam, so if you notice your comment doesn't show up right away, that is why.

Happy Gardening!